Monday, June 22, 2015

PROMANIA and other Frightful Experiences Grandparents Aren't Fit For!!!

Well, where do I begin. It's prom time. You know, that time of year where life is suspended for weeks on end until the dress is purchased, tux fitted, flowers ordered, and the new camera is on the charger. With two attending prom this year, my budget is "tanked." My granddaughter wants a dress that no other girl could possibly purchase much less wear to the same dance. I informed her that outside of a world-class designer her chances would be considerably reduced. I suggested that since she was a size 00, she try to find a dress that no one else could fit into. My grandson had his own ideas about what kind of a tux he should wear. I was relieved because I figured "how expensive could a rental tux be?" Wrong! It can be very expensive when the tux in question has to be all white with white patent leather shoes in order to match the dance theme--"dancing in the dark." The white ones, of course, are twice as expensive as the standard black tuxes. His first lesson in economic theory--supply and demand. More than $500 later, they were both outfitted and flowers ordered. I must say, both of my lovelies were breathtaking. Fortunately, the mother of Jake's (my grandson) date had made arrangements for a photo shoot at the Shakespeare Festival Theater. Whew! One less thing I had to do. However, I was responsible for Taylor's photo shoot. Now please understand, I didn't give her the nickname Madam Wu for no reason. Wu was called "the first woman emperor" of China for a good reason. She and Machiavelli I'm sure were kindred spirits! Taylor, or Wu as I called her at times, wanted a first-rate photo book of the occasion, but wanted to tell the photographer exactly what shots to take. Sorry Wu, it doesn't work that way. To say the least, the photo shoot was a contest of wills. In Wu's favor was the fact that the child has never taken a bad picture. God gifted her with a drop-dead gorgeous face and figure. Even her brother several years after the prom commented to me one day as we were driving, "you know Oma, Taylor is really a knockout, but when she was in sixth or seventh grade, I didn't hold out any hope for her in the looks department." Good thing that I had the car under control. Owing to the fact that Jake rarely made a favorable comment about one of his sisters, I found his words to be toooooo funny! It's been three years since that particular prom and Taylor's prom book lies on my coffee table at my home in Florida. I would give a lot just to go back in time and relive prom day with my two "babies."

No comments:

Post a Comment